Winter WOB Tour (Days 77-82)
Saturday March 19-Thursday March 24
Saturday morning we started our trek from New Orleans to Austin, TX. We drove by some insane flooding at the LA/TX border:
We had heard US-10 was closed due to flooding and thought we may have to reroute our trip through Texas. 13 hours before we hit the border they opened the highway again. Right on the Texas border is where it was the worst. So many homes, businesses and even the Texas Welcome Center was completely flooded. This is a gas station we passed. #texasflood #underwater #sosad #texasborder #paygasnotrent #roadtrip
We arrived to Austin late, but had plenty of time to visit with our hosts, who were friends of Curtiss’s Dad…from Nairobi, Kenya!
The next morning they took us on a great walk where the dogs could run off-leash.
Originally we had contemplated staying 2 days in Austin so we could see the city, however after the long winter we decided to just keep on trucking along to Colorado.
We planned to drive from Austin to Amarillo. We arrived to Amarillo around midnight, and neither Curtiss nor I really felt like stopping. I said, “Well, why don’t we keep going. I’ll shut my eyes and wake me up when you want to switch.” Next thing I know I hear the GPS say, “In 1 mile, take a slight left run on Colorado Highway…” I woke up confused and shocked—Curtiss drove straight through the night to Colorado!!! When I woke up we were 1 hour from our destination.
We pulled into our friends driveway at around 6:30am. After a quick walk with the dogs we all passed out until around 11am.
We stayed for a few days in Canon City, CO catching up, relaxing and exploring the area!
Our friend had warned us there was a winter storm coming, but we thought, yeah, but it’s the end of March so how bad can it be? We have 4WD. Turns out it was the worst storm of the winter and the entire highway system in and outside of Denver completely shut down. It was insanity!
We got stuck in Canon City an extra day, which wouldn’t have been the end of the world, except we HAD to get to Denver to get our snowboarding gear, and now it meant we’d have less than 24 hours before we had to leave for Telluride, CO.
It was a LONG haul…but we finally made it to Denver!